I’d love to talk to your teens and tweens about writing, and middle grade and young adult literature! I currently offer the following presentations:
- The Writing Process – A presentation on the evolution of a novel from the initial idea to drafting and the revision process.
- The Long Winding Road to Bookshelves – an inspirational talk on the path to publication and the importance of never giving up, along with show and tell of the various stages of the publishing process.
- Fairy Tales/Retellings – A presentation on fairy tales and how they’ve evolved in modern literature.
- Discovering Your Character – A presentation about finding inspiration for your characters (or reverse engineering) and developing them throughout your story.
- NaNoWriMo – If your students will be participating in NaNoWriMo, this presentation will provide them with practical tips and tricks to survive the month and reach their goals.
- Topic of your choice! I’d be happy to customize a program for your group!
Like my upper middle grade fantasy novel, Monstrous, my presentations are geared toward young readers in grades 4 and up. However, I’m also available to speak to high-school students as well as adult groups of teachers, librarians, and parents. Presentations are about an hour long, but can be made longer or shorter to meet the needs of your group.
My education and background:
- BA in Literature and Music, Hampshire College, Amherst, MA. Composed an opera and wrote libretto by “quilting” together various lines from Shakespeare’s plays into an original plot.
- MS in Arts Administration, Boston University, Boston, MA. Focus on performing arts.
Fees: Fees are negotiable, but typically range from $300-600 for half-day/full-day school visits or $100/hour for library visits.
Skype visits usually last 20-30 minutes and usually center around a Q&A time. There is no charge for a Skype visit, but they do need to be booked a few weeks in advance.
A Common Core-aligned Classroom Guide for Monstrous is available here. Ravenous classroom guide coming soon!
Book a Visit
To arrange an In-Person or Skype visit to your classroom, please fill out my online Request an Appearance Form.